MNICS Board of Directors
The MNICS Board of Directors meets at least once a year to set direction, solve problems and look at future issues in emergency management. Agreements and memorandums of understanding are passed to them for their signatures, allowing interagency response to incidents and prescribed burning. Other agreements center around the operation of the Minnesota Interagency Fire Center (MIFC).
The Board of Directors consists of the following MNICS partners and their assigned representatives:
- Ron Stoffel, forestry section manager, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Brenda Halter, supervisor, Superior National Forest
- Darla Lenz, supervisor, Chippewa National Forest
- Kris Eide, director, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Make Ward, superintendent, Voyageurs National Park
- Tom Remus, regional fire management officer, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Region 5 coordinator, US Fish and Wildlife Service
- A representative from NE Area State and Private Forestry
MNICS Task Force
The MNICS Task Force meets monthly to deal with day-to-day operations of MIFC and partner emergency response organizations. The group coordinates and hosts a MNICS annual meeting. Minnesota’s incident management teams (IMTs) and training of personnel are under the guidance of the Task Force.
In addition to solving operation issues, the Task Force decides which issues may need further research and recommendations. These issues are often referred to a working team. They also determine which issues require action by the Board of Directors.
The 2015 Task Force is comprised of the following managers from the MNICS organizations, plus the MIFC coordinator and a public affairs representative.
- Ron Stoffel, fire suppression supervisor, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Brian Jenkins (acting), fire management officer, US Forest Service
- Greg Peterson, fire management officer, Minnesota Agency, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Kurt Fogelberg, fire management officer, Voyageurs National Park, National Park Service
- Russ Langford, zone fire management officer, US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Roy Holmes, northeast region program coordinator, Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Tom Fasteland, MIFC coordinator, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Christi Powers, Public Information Officer, MIFC
MNICS Working Teams
Working teams have a voting member from each of the partner agencies and other members as needed. Working team members are part of an incident management team or otherwise involved in the emergency response organization.
The working teams meet yearly at the annual meeting. Some meet throughout the year as well. The Task Force establishes the teams and gives the teams a list of items to work on for the year. Items such as interagency training calendars, operational procedures for IMTs, and prescribed fire policies and operations are the types of issues the working teams discuss at their meetings.
The 2015 working teams, chairs, and Task Force representatives are:
- Air Operations: Thomas Schackman, chair; Ron Stoffel, TF representative
- Communications: Mike Hamilton, chair; Russ Langford, TF representative
- Dispatch: Lonnie Lilly, chair; Tom Fasteland, TF representative
- Finance: Christina Basina, chair; Brian Jenkins, TF representative
- GIS: Chris Mursu and Wade Mapes, co-chairs; Roy Holmes, TF representative
- Information Management: Kris Reichenbach, chair; Ron Stoffel, TF representative
- Information Technology: Meggan Nadler and Shelly Sentyrz, co-chairs; Kurt Fogelberg, TF representative
- Logistics: Don Lantz, chair; Ron Stoffel, TF representative
- Operations: Erik Carlson, chair; Brian Jenkins, TF representative
- Prescribed Fire and Fuels: Carl Crawford, chair; Greg Peterson, TF representative
- Prevention: Jeff Jackson, chair; Jean Goad, TF representative
- Training: Robert Lintelmann, chair; Kurt Fogelberg, TF representative